Re: counting file descriptors with a cgroup controller

From: Krzysztof Opasiak
Date: Wed Mar 08 2017 - 05:23:12 EST

On 03/08/2017 03:59 AM, Parav Pandit wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:06:49PM +0100, Krzysztof Opasiak wrote:
Personally, I don't want to use rlimit for this as it ends up returning
error code from for example open() when we hit the limit. This may lead to
some unpredictable crashes in services (esp. those poor proprietary binary
blobs). Instead of injecting errors to service we would like to just get
notification that this service has more opened fds than it should and ask it
to restart in a polite way.

How does those poor proprietary binary blobs remain polite after restart?

They wont.

Do you mean you want to keep restarting them when it reaches the limit?

We'd like to restart them each time when they reach limit declared by developer.

Best regards,
--
Krzysztof Opasiak
Samsung R&D Institute Poland