Re: nios2 crash/hang in mainline due to 'lib: update LZ4 compressor module'

From: Sandra Loosemore
Date: Wed Mar 01 2017 - 19:53:20 EST

On 03/01/2017 11:58 AM, Sven Schmidt wrote:
Hi Guenter, Tobias and Sandra,

thanks for your effort here.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:14:13AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:53:56AM -0700, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
On 02/28/2017 08:53 AM, Tobias Klauser wrote:
(adding Sandra Loosemore to Cc due to possible relation to gcc/binutils
for nios2)

On 2017-02-26 at 22:03:38 +0100, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sven,

my qemu test for nios2 started failing with commit 4e1a33b105dd ("lib:
update LZ4 compressor module"). The test hangs early during boot before
any console output is seen. Reverting the offending patch as well as the
subsequent lz4 related patches fixes the problem. Disabling CONFIG_RD_LZ4
and with it other LZ4 options also fixes it (as does adding "return -EINVAL;"
at the top of the LZ4 decompression code). For reference, bisect log
is attached.

I tried with buildroot toolchains using gcc 6.1.0 as well as 6.3.0
and binutils 2.26.1. Scripts used to run the tests are available at
https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test/tree/master/rootfs/nios2.
Qemu is from qemu mainline or qemu v2.8 with nios2 patches applied.

Looks like this is somehow related to gcc/binutils. Using GCC 4.8.3 and
binutils 2.24.51 (both from from Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2014.05) I can
get a kernel booting on latest master branch. AFAICT, none of the
LZ4_decompress_* functions are called during boot.

It seems a bit strange that code which is not actually called causes problems like that.

Please let me know if and how I may help you figure out what's happening, especially
regarding the differences between the previous LZ4 and the current implementation.

However, using a self-built GCC 7.0 (20161127) and binutils 2.27 I can
reproduce the problem you see using the instructions Guenter provided in
the reply to Sven.

I'll try to dig a bit deeper from here on. Any suggestions on what to
look out for wrt the differences between the gcc/binutils version are
welcome of course.

This message doesn't give me enough context to know what is going on,
especially without seeing the rest of the thread. Generally speaking,
Mentor recommends you use one of our stable releases instead of trying to
roll your own from mainline sources. As an upstream binutils and gcc
maintainer I do try my best to look at bug reports for those components, but
I need a reproducible standalone testcase and specific versions of the
different components involved.

The problem is also seen with Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2016.11-32 (gcc 6.2.0,
binutils 2.26.51). I can provide additional details if needed, but we don't
have a well enough understanding of the problem to be able to provide a
reduced size test case. The test used to reproduce the problem is available
at https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test/tree/master/rootfs/nios2,
run on the ToT linux kernel.

Just a suggestion: can you try binutils trunk, too? Alan Modra and I just tracked down and fixed a bug with the linker creating bad executables that the kernel's ELF loader couldn't properly map into memory. IIUC it only affected programs that use dynamic libraries, but maybe there was more to it than that. In any case it would be good to know if the problem has already been fixed before investigating further.

-Sandra