Re: [RFC 2/5] iwlwifi: fix request_module() use

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Tue Feb 21 2017 - 13:18:42 EST

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 07:16:16AM +0000, Grumbach, Emmanuel wrote:

> > a) just remove the print and use instead request_module_nowait() (this is
> > more in alignment of what your code actually does today; or
> >
> > b) fix the request_module() use so that the error print matches the
> > expected and proper recommended use of request_module() (what this patch
> > does)
> >
> > I prefer a) actually but I had to show what b) looked like first :)
>
> Me too. Let's do the simple thing. After all, it's been working for 5 years
> now (maybe more?) and I don't see a huge need to verify that the opmode
> module has been loaded. It is very unlikely to fail anyway, and in the case
> it did fail, it's not that we can do much from iwlwifi point of view.

I tend to agree with you on this, retries would be the only sensible thing to
do, but why do that -- the error should be logged right and addressed by any
upper layers. Its one reason to consider in the future adding verifiers
as built-in optional part of module loading.

> iwlwifi will stay loaded and sit idle since no opmode will be there to start
> using the hardware. We will keep having the device claimed, and will keep the
> interrupt registered and all that. No WiFi for you, but no harm caused
> either.

Fine by me. Will send follow up simple patches.

Luis