counting file descriptors with a cgroup controller

From: Åukasz Stelmach
Date: Fri Feb 17 2017 - 04:37:57 EST

Hi,

We need to limit and monitor the number of file descriptors processes
keep open. If a process exceeds certain limit we'd like to terminate it
and restart it or reboot the whole system. Currently the RLIMIT API
allows limiting the number of file descriptors but to achieve our goals
we'd need to make sure all programmes we run handle EMFILE errno
properly. That is why we consider developing a cgroup controller that
limits the number of open file descriptors of its members (similar to
memory controler).

Any comments? Is there any alternative that:

+ does not require modifications of user-land code,
+ enables other process (e.g. init) to be notified and apply policy.

Kind regards,
--
Åukasz Stelmach
Samsung R&D Institute Poland