Re: Please turn "Cannot use CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION" into build error

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Mon Feb 13 2017 - 17:00:13 EST

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 01:31:32PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Anyway, after not finding it in xconfig, I editted .config, and did:
> # CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION is not set
> save .config
> and the next build re-enabled the option.
> That's what caught me by surprise. Did I do something wrong, or is there an
> issue there?

I really don't see how it would be possible for it to come back by
itself, as it's disabled by default, and no other options select it.
When I remove it, it stays disabled.

> > Ideally the same warning should be printed when building OOT modules.
> > I'll try to figure out if there's a way to do that it.
>
> This would help, although in that case you can even make the warning an
> error since objtool missing seems to be fatal?

It doesn't need to be fatal though. It should just be a warning and the
build should succeed, like it does when building the kernel.

--
Josh