Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 4.0 - A tool for managing md Soft RAID under Linux

From: zhilong
Date: Mon Feb 13 2017 - 00:54:42 EST

On 02/13/2017 01:08 PM, zhilong wrote:
Hi, Jes;

On 01/13/2017 12:41 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
On 01/11/17 23:24, Guoqing Jiang wrote:

On 01/12/2017 12:59 AM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
On 01/11/17 11:52, Shaohua Li wrote:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:49:04AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Jes Sorensen wrote:
I am pleased to announce the availability of
mdadm version 4.0

It is available at the usual places:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/raid/mdadm/
and via git at
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/mdadm/mdadm.git
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/mdadm/

The update in major version number primarily indicates this is a
release by it's new maintainer. In addition it contains a large number
of fixes in particular for IMSM RAID and clustered RAID support. In
addition this release includes support for IMSM 4k sector drives,
failfast and better documentation for journaled RAID.
Thank you for the new release. Unfortunately I get 9 failures
running the
test suite:

tests/00raid1... FAILED
tests/07autoassemble... FAILED
tests/07changelevels... FAILED
tests/07revert-grow... FAILED
tests/07revert-inplace... FAILED
tests/07testreshape5... FAILED
tests/10ddf-fail-twice... FAILED
tests/20raid5journal... FAILED
tests/10ddf-incremental-wrong-order... FAILED
Yep, several tests usually fail. It appears some checks aren't always
good. At
least the 'check' function for reshape/resync isn't reliable in my
test, I saw
07changelevelintr fails frequently.
That is my experience as well - some of them are affected by the kernel
version too. We probably need to look into making them more reliable.
If possible, it could be a potential topic for lsf/mm raid discussion as
Coly suggested
in previous mail.

Is current test can run the test for different raid level, say, "./test
--raidtype=raid1" could
execute all the *r1* tests, does it make sense to do it if we don't
support it now.
We could have a discussion about this at LSF/MM, if someone is willing
to sponsor getting it accepted and we can get the right people there.

Note that the test suite also allows you to run all the 01 tests by
specifying ./test 01. I do like to see the test suite improved and made
more resilient.
I'm sorry for my late response, I'm just back to work today from vacation. In the past months, I learned and worked for cluster-md feature,
and I have draft one test suit for cluster-md feature. please refer to https://github.com/zhilongliu/clustermd-autotest
I'm very willing to do something for improving mdadm testing part, also wanna improve cluster-md test suit, welcome all comments for it.

I would keep making cluster-md test scripts more and more stable, and finally apply to integrate into mdadm test part. :-)

Best regards,
-Zhilong
Cheers,
Jes