Re: regulator_get_optional() no longer returning NULL?

From: Mark Brown
Date: Sat Feb 04 2017 - 05:08:46 EST

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 01:51:20PM -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> Like I said, I want people to simply check for error/!error and have all
> errors be fatal, and the rest of the checks (when trying to use said
> regulator) should be in form of:

> if (blah->supply)
> regulator_enable(supply).

I am very dubious about this sort of pattern, it's fairly rare to get
optional supplies at all and when they're there they tend to be more
clearly described at a higher level than just checking for the
regulator.

> Or even teach regulator_enable() to like NULLs.

We definitely should not do this, we already have far too many problems
with people not writing appropriate error handling code and this just
encourages the "we got an error, set the regulator to NULL" behaviour
that seems to go along with this. For most of the reasonable use cases
we need explicit handling for the case where the regulator isn't there
so it's not particularly optimising anything.