Re: [RESEND/PATCH v6 3/3] clk: qcom: Add A53 clock driver

From: Bjorn Andersson
Date: Mon Dec 05 2016 - 16:26:54 EST

On Mon 14 Nov 14:21 PST 2016, Stephen Boyd wrote:

> On 11/11, Georgi Djakov wrote:
> > On 11/03/2016 08:28 PM, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
[..]
> > >I'm in favour of us inventing a kicker API and it's found outside out
> > >use cases as well (e.g. virtio/rpmsg).
> > >

> I'd rather we did this kicker API as well. That way we don't need
> to make a syscon and a simple-mfd to get software to work
> properly. Don't other silicon vendors need a kicker API as well?
> How are they kicking remote processors in other places? GPIOs?

In remoteproc I have two of these:
1) da8xx_remoteproc ioremaps a register and writes a bit in it (looks
similar to the downstream Qualcomm way)

2) omap_remoteproc acquires a mbox channel, in which it writes a
virtqueue id to kick the remote.

So one of the two cases could have used such mechanism.

We could write up a Qualcomm specific "kicker" and probe the mailing
list regarding the interest in making that generic (i.e. changing the
names in the API and DT binding).

The sucky part is that I believe we have most of our kickers in place
already so rpm, smd, smp2p, smsm etc would all need to support both
mechanisms.

Regards,
Bjorn