Re: Enabling peer to peer device transactions for PCIe devices

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Mon Dec 05 2016 - 14:59:49 EST

On 05/12/16 12:46 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
NVMe might have to deal with pci-e hot-unplug, which is a similar
problem-class to the GPU case..

Sure, but if the NVMe device gets hot-unplugged it means that all the CMB mappings are useless and need to be torn down. This probably means killing any process that has mappings open.

In any event the allocator still needs to track which regions are in
use and be able to hook 'free' from userspace. That does suggest it
should be integrated into the nvme driver and not a bolt on driver..

Yup, that's correct. And yes, I've never suggested this to be a bolt on driver -- I always expected for it to get integrated into the nvme driver. (iopmem was not meant for this.)

Logan