Re: BUG: 4.9-rc6 Still "no symbol version" on boot

From: Adam Borowski
Date: Wed Nov 23 2016 - 15:53:48 EST

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 09:08:28PM +0100, Philip Müller wrote:
> > due to following commit it seems the 64bit architecture of linux 4.9-rc
> > is not able to boot at all, as it is unable to find its root device:

> you have to apply following patch also:
>
> provide-asm-prototypes.h-for-x86.patch:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9408985/raw/
>
> @Adam, Nick: Was this patch not yet sent to Linus?

The patch stewed in a kbuild-targetted thread since the morning after -rc1,
Nick has recently requested that it should go through x86 maintainers
instead. I've sent it there, lemme ping them, as the regression is severe
and 4.9-final is close.

Apologies if I'm doing something wrong, I'm not a real kernel dev and merely
was the person who came here looking for a fix, saw Nick's instructions
and did the legwork implementing them.

Last version (rewritten description) is at:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9439501/
(needs s/oeter/peter/ for a typo in Peter Wu's address)

Meow!
--
The bill declaring Jesus as the King of Poland fails to specify whether
the addition is at the top or end of the list of kings. What should the