Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS Driver

From: Rabin Vincent
Date: Sat Nov 19 2016 - 08:57:11 EST

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 02:20:27PM +0000, Joao Pinto wrote:
> For now we are interesting in improving the synopsys QoS driver under
> /nect/ethernet/synopsys. For now the driver structure consists of a single file
> called dwc_eth_qos.c, containing synopsys ethernet qos common ops and platform
> related stuff.
>
> Our strategy would be:
>
> a) Implement a platform glue driver (dwc_eth_qos_pltfm.c)
> b) Implement a pci glue driver (dwc_eth_qos_pci.c)
> c) Implement a "core driver" (dwc_eth_qos.c) that would only have Ethernet QoS
> related stuff to be reused by the platform / pci drivers
> d) Add a set of features to the "core driver" that we have available internally

Note that there are actually two drivers in mainline for this hardware:

drivers/net/ethernet/synopsis/
drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/

(See http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2016/02/29/127)

The former only supports 4.x of the hardware.

The later supports 4.x and 3.x and already has a platform glue driver
with support for several platforms, a PCI glue driver, and a core driver
with several features not present in the former (for example: TX/RX
interrupt coalescing, EEE, PTP).

Have you evaluated both drivers? Why have you decided to work on the
former rather than the latter?