Re: CONFIG_VMAP_STACK, on-stack struct, and wake_up_bit

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Oct 27 2016 - 15:26:01 EST

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 02:51:30PM -0400, Bob Peterson wrote:
> I couldn't recreate that first boot failure, even using .config.old,
> and even after removing (rm -fR) my linux.git and untarring it from the
> original tarball, doing a make clean, etc.

Hmm, so it could also depend on the randomized offset as it is getting
generated anew each boot. So you could try to boot a couple of times
to see if the randomized offset is generated just right for the bug
condition to match.

I mean, it would be great if you try a couple times but even if you're
unsuccessful, that's fine too - the fix is obviously correct and I've
confirmed that it boots fine in my VM here.

> The output before and after your new patch are the same (except for the times):
>
> # dmesg | grep -i microcode
> [ 5.291679] microcode: microcode updated early to new patch_level=0x010000d9

That looks good.

Thanks!

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.