Re: Linux-4.X-rcY patches can't be applied with git?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 24 2016 - 20:06:57 EST

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But in that case, what if your patch generation script used a filter to
> exclude those binary files? No harm to that target audience, and it would
> actually make them behave better for distro builds. Though that might be
> counter to the goal of making them disappear entirely. :)

Heh, I'd rather people get the warning that "oops, something is
incomplete". They can still work with the end result, but at least
they got some indication that hey, that patch didn't work wonderfully
well...

To be honest, I really would like to not do the tar-balls and patches at all.

But maybe rather than saying "it's only for legacy 'patch' users", I
could just say that it's getting phased out, and say "you have to use
'git apply' to apply them".

Then I could just enable "--binary" and "-M", and see what happens.

I suspect that these days, git is so ubiquitous that it's ok.

And then in a few years, maybe I can just stop doing patches entirely,
having proved the point that everybody already has git ;)

Linus