Regression in 4.8 - CPU speed set very low

From: Larry Finger
Date: Fri Sep 09 2016 - 13:39:36 EST

I have found a regression in kernel 4.8-rc2 that causes the speed of my laptop with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600M CPU @ 2.90GHz to suddenly have a maximum cpu frequency of ~400 MHz. Unfortunately, I do not know how to trigger this problem, thus a bisection is not possible. It usually happens under heavy load, such as a kernel build or the RPM build of VirtualBox, but it does not always fail with these loads. In my most recent failure, 'hwinfo --cpu' reports cpu MHz of 396.130 for #3. The bogomips value is 5787.73, and the cpu clock before the fault is 3437 MHz. Nothing is logged when this happens.

If I were to get a patch that would show a backtrace when the maximum CPU frequency is changed, perhaps it would be possible to track this bug.

Sorry that I can not be more specific.

Larry