Re: checkkpatch (in)sanity ?

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Aug 29 2016 - 04:20:24 EST

Seriously folks, checkpatch is a tool that's to be used for a reason,
not a reason by itself.

And it used to be a lot more useful before adding all kinds of bullshit
warnings. I use checkpatch a lot, and I also ignore silly warnings in
it a lot as it's piling up more and more crap.

And then again there are just plenty of commits that touch existing code
for a minor change, and I'm not going to bother rewriting the steaming
pile of crap around it. And checkpath really shouldn't even bother to
warn for context of diffs that's not even touched by default.