Re: [RFC (v7)] add basic register-field manipulation macros

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 18 2016 - 22:34:55 EST

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Jakub Kicinski
<jakub.kicinski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is what I came up with. Changes:

I can live with this, certainly. I'm not really sure how many drivers
(or perhaps core code, for that matter) will actually start using it,
but it at least _looks_ like a usable interface that seems to be quite
resistant to people doing stupid things with it that would result in
surprising results (either performance or semantics).

So I'm ok with something like this coming through (for example) the
wireless tree if the drivers there are the first ones to start using
this.

Let's see if anybody else objects.

Linus