Re: [LKP] [lkp] [xfs] 68a9f5e700: aim7.jobs-per-min -13.6% regression

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Thu Aug 18 2016 - 09:24:25 EST

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 05:11:11PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > Even if such batching was implemented, it would be very specific to the
> > > case of a single large file filling LRUs on multiple nodes.
> > >

> > The latest Jason Bourne movie was sufficiently bad that I spent time
> > thinking how the tree_lock could be batched during reclaim. It's not
> > straight-forward but this prototype did not blow up on UMA and may be
> > worth considering if Dave can test either approach has a positive impact.
>
> SO, I just did a couple of tests. I'll call the two patches "sleepy"
> for the contention backoff patch and "bourney" for the Jason Bourne
> inspired batching patch. This is an average of 3 runs, overwriting
> a 47GB file on a machine with 16GB RAM:
>
> IO throughput wall time __pv_queued_spin_lock_slowpath
> vanilla 470MB/s 1m42s 25-30%
> sleepy 295MB/s 2m43s <1%
> bourney 425MB/s 1m53s 25-30%

Thanks. I updated the tests today and reran them trying to reproduce what
you saw but I'm simply not seeing it on bare metal with a spinning disk.

xfsio Throughput
4.8.0-rc2 4.8.0-rc2 4.8.0-rc2
vanilla sleepy bourney
Min tput 147.4450 ( 0.00%) 147.2580 ( 0.13%) 147.3900 ( 0.04%)
Hmean tput 147.5853 ( 0.00%) 147.5101 ( 0.05%) 147.6121 ( -0.02%)
Stddev tput 0.1041 ( 0.00%) 0.1785 (-71.47%) 0.2036 (-95.63%)
CoeffVar tput 0.0705 ( 0.00%) 0.1210 (-71.56%) 0.1379 (-95.59%)
Max tput 147.6940 ( 0.00%) 147.6420 ( 0.04%) 147.8820 ( -0.13%)

I'm currently setting up a KVM instance that may fare better. Due to
quirks of where machines are, I have to setup the KVM instance on real
NUMA hardware but maybe that'll make the problem even more obvious.

> The overall CPU usage of sleepy was much lower than the others, but
> it was also much slower. Too much sleeping and not enough reclaim
> work being done, I think.

Looks like it. On my initial test, there was barely any sleeping.

> As for bourney, it's not immediately clear as to why it's nearly as
> bad as the movie. At worst I would have expected it to have not
> noticable impact, but maybe we are delaying freeing of pages too
> long and so stalling allocation of new pages? It also doesn't do
> much to reduce contention, especially considering the reduction in
> throughput.
>
> On a hunch that the batch list isn't all one mapping, I sorted it.
> Patch is below if you're curious.

The fact that sorting makes such a difference makes me think that it's
the wrong direction. It's far too specific to this test case and does
nothing to throttle a reclaimer. It's also fairly complex and I expected
that normal users of remove_mapping such as truncation would take a hit.

The hit of bouncing the lock around just hurts too much.

> FWIW, I just remembered about /proc/sys/vm/zone_reclaim_mode.

That is a terrifying "fix" for this problem. It just happens to work
because there is no spillover to other nodes so only one kswapd instance
is potentially active.

> Anyway, I've burnt enough erase cycles on this SSD for today....

I'll continue looking at getting KVM up and running and then consider
other possibilities for throttling.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs