Re: Who reordered my disks (probably v4.8-rc1 problem)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Aug 14 2016 - 05:09:23 EST

Hi!

> Use static (persistent) naming instead, /dev/disk/by-label,
> /dev/disk/by-id, /dev/disk/by-uuid, and if gpt /dev/disk/by-partlabel
> and /dev/disk/by-partuuid

Explain that to my bootloader. Kernel needs root= on a command line.

> As you found, /dev/sdX bus names are assigned in the order they are
> added, which for some time has not been guaranteed to remain
> consistent between kernel versions or even subsequent boots on the
> same kernel.

Well, for usb, order is not guaranteed, for SATA, it worked. So that's
a regression in v4.8-rc1.

Yes, /dev/disk/by-* is good idea, but this broke my boot, probably
broke some scripts that used for a long time... and kernel may not
break working systems.
Pavel