Re: [Patch v3 03/11] driver/edac/mpc85xx_edac: Drop setting/clearing RFXE bit in HID1

From: york sun
Date: Tue Aug 09 2016 - 13:30:32 EST

On 08/08/2016 11:56 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 05:06:39AM +0000, york sun wrote:
>> It is uncorrectable. DDR controller can only report the error. I don't
>> believe EDAC driver can do more. For the same reason I said we can leave
>> RXFE as is, even for e500v1 case (with RIO or PCI is enabled). Nothing
>> can be done with uncorrectable error.
>
> Of course it can: it can panic the machine so that it doesn't corrupt
> data on secondary storage. You might consider whether this is a better
> course of action instead of only reporting the error.

Boris,

My opinion is the error shouldn't happen at the first place. It usually
means wrong configuration or physical error on the hardware. An EDAC
driver can report these errors. How far you want to go on the error
handling is up for discussion. I don't think we should include those
improvement in this patch set.

York