Re: [PACTH v1] cdc-wdm: Clear read pipeline in case of error

From: Robert Foss
Date: Mon Aug 08 2016 - 10:38:52 EST

On 2016-08-03 06:39 AM, Oliver Neukum wrote:
On Tue, 2016-08-02 at 10:37 -0400, Robert Foss wrote:

How can that depend on what we return to user space?
In the driver we can continue just ignoring errors.
Now, if user space stops reading because we reported an error,
that is the decision user space has made. We cannot ignore errors
in the kernel because we don't like what user space does when it
sees the error.

So perhaps the better solution is to be more intelligent about how
desc->rerr is written to during after an error to be able to maintain
the error condition?

Yes, good idea. I think an error condition should never be overwritten.
So we go to the current behaviour only if a second error before
user space has seen the3 first error arises. Would that fix your
issue?

Excellent!

As long as the device is able to keep pushing data during an -EPIPE error condition, I think my issues would be solved.