Re: [PACTH v1] trace: Add trace events for open(), exec() and uselib()

From: Robert Foss
Date: Mon Aug 01 2016 - 15:52:17 EST

On 2016-08-01 02:10 PM, Al Viro wrote:
On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 01:25:40PM -0400, robert.foss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Scott James Remnant <scott@xxxxxxxxxx>

This patch uses TRACE_EVENT to add tracepoints for the open(),
exec() and uselib() syscalls so that ureadahead can cheaply trace
the boot sequence to determine what to read to speed up the next.

NAK. No Tracepoints In VFS. Not going to happen - any tracepoint can all too
easily become a cast-in-stone userland ABI.

Hey Al,

I'm slightly unfamiliar with this territory, so please forgive my lack of knowledge of this topic.

What is the negative side of having tracepoint be a permanent fixture in the VFS ABI?
And how is VFS different from other subsystems in that regard?

Rob.