To add, or not to add, a bio REQ_ROTATIONAL flag

From: Eric Wheeler
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 20:50:37 EST

Hello all,

With the many SSD caching layers being developed (bcache, dm-cache,
dm-writeboost, etc), how could we flag a bio from userspace to indicate
whether the bio is preferred to hit spinning disks instead of an SSD?

Unnecessary promotions, evections, and writeback increase the write burden
on the caching layer and burns out SSDs too fast (TBW), thus requring
equipment replacement.

Is there already a mechanism for this that could be added to the various
caching mechanisms' promote/demote/bypass logic?

For example, I would like to prevent backups from influencing the cache
eviction logic. Neither do I wish to evict cache due to a bio from a
backup process, nor do I wish a bio from the backup process to be cached
on the SSD.

We would want to bypass the cache for IO that is somehow flagged to bypass
block-layer caches and use the rotational disk unless the referenced block
already exists on the SSD.

There might be two cases here that would be ideal to unify without
touching filesystem code:

1) open() of a block device

2) open() on a file such that a filesystem must flag the bio

I had considered writing something to detect FADV_SEQUENTIAL/FADV_NOREUSE
or `ionice -c3` on a process hitting bcache and modifying
check_should_bypass()/should_writeback() to behave as such.

However, just because FADV_SEQUENTIAL is flagged doesn't mean the cache
should bypass. Filesystems can fragment, and while the file being read
may be read sequentially, the blocks on which it resides may not be.
Same thing for higher-level block devices such as dm-thinp where one might
sequentially read a thin volume but its _tdata might not be in linear
order. This may imply that we need a new way to flag cache bypass from
userspace that is neither io-priority nor fadvise driven.

So what are our options? What might be the best way to do this?

If fadvise is the better option, how can a block device driver lookup the
fadvise advice from a given bio struct? Can we add an FADV_NOSSD flag
since FADV_SEQUENTIAL may be insufficent? Are FADV_NOREUSE/FADV_DONTNEED
reasonable candidates?

Perhaps ionice could be used used, but the concept of "priority"
doesn't exactly encompass the concept of cache-bypass---so is something
else needed?

Other ideas?

--
Eric Wheeler