Re: Why do we need reset_control_get_optional() ?

From: Philipp Zabel
Date: Thu Jul 28 2016 - 05:43:21 EST

Am Samstag, den 23.07.2016, 20:22 +0900 schrieb Masahiro Yamada:
> Hi.
>

> Now the reset subsystem provides
> a bunch of reset_control_get variants.
>
> I am still wondering why we need to have _optional ones.
>
> As far as I see, the difference is WARN_ON(1)
> when CONFIG_RESET_CONTROLLER is not defined.
>

> [1] When the reset is mandatory,
> the code of the reset consumer is probably like follows:
>
> rst = devm_reset_control_get(dev, NULL);
> if (IS_ERR(rst)) {
> dev_err(dev, "failed to get reset\n");
> return PTR_ERR(rst);
> }
>
> ret = reset_control_deassert(rst);
> if (ret) {
> dev_err(dev, "failed to deassert reset\n");
> return ret;
> }

> [2] When the reset is optional,
> the code should be something like follows:
>
> rst = devm_reset_control_get(dev, NULL);
> if (ERR_PTR(rst) == -EPROBE_DEFER)
> return -EPROBE_DEFER;
>
> /* deassert reset if it is available */
> if (!IS_ERR(rst)) {
> ret = reset_control_deassert(rst);
> if (ret) {
> dev_err(dev, "failed to deassert reset\n");
> return ret;
> }
> }
>

> What I mean is, we can write a driver in either way
> without using the _optional one.
>
> No need to call WARN_ON(1).
>

> What does _optional buy us?

It will complain loudly with a backtrace if a driver requests a
non-optional reset on a kernel/platform with the reset framework
disabled.

> One more thing.
> WARN_ON(1) is only useful on run-time,
> but run-time test is more expensive than compile-time test.
>
> If a driver really needs reset control,
> it should not be complied without CONFIG_RESET_CONTROLLER.
> So, the driver should have "depends on RESET_CONTROLLER" in Kconfig.

If we do that, we can't compile test those drivers anymore in
configurations without RESET_CONTROLLER enabled.

[...]
> I want to deprecate _optional variants in the following steps:
>
> [1] Add "depends on RESET_CONTROLLER" to drivers
> for which reset_control is mandatory.
>
> We can find those driver easily by grepping
> the reference to non-optional reset_control_get().

Since we have the stubs, the RESET_CONTROLLER dependency is only at
runtime, not at build time.

I think Arnd wanted to move this in the opposite direction and remove
the configurable RESET_CONTROLLER symbol. Maybe we should let all
drivers that currently request non-optional resets have:
depends on (ARCH_HAS_)RESET_CONTROLLER || COMPILE_TEST
?

regards
Philipp