Re: [LKP] More information please. Re: [fs] 54cc07a761: BUG: kernel test crashed

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Jul 26 2016 - 16:04:30 EST

Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 09:52:40AM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>>Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>[snip]

>>> It's a simple boot test with a quick trinity run. So there will be
>>> some randomness in this test.
>>>
>>> The "BUG: kernel test crashed" means the VM reboots by itself while
>>> the trinity test is running. If the error message is "BUG: kernel boot
>>> crashed" it'd mean VM abnormally reboots before any test is launched.
>>
>>Is it possible to include a url pointing to a page of documentation
>>holding this information in your emails or alternatively a url pointing
>>to some source code. Just so other people don't have to ask you this
>>question.
>
> Yes that's the right directions to follow. We'll make the reports more
> understandable and the test/bisects more reliable.

Thanks. Does trinity have a random seed it can export/import to rerun
the same tests? I ask because there was a failure these tests caught
that if the right kernel options was enabled was 100% reliable and it
blamed a commit 10 patches down from the indicated commit. The problem
being 100% reproducible it wasn't an issue that the indicated commit
was wrong. But a 100% reliable failure being misattributed suggest
a way attribution could become more reliable.

> In particular, I suspect this false report might be related to QEMU
> watchdog. The wild guess is, if trinity touches the watchdog device by
> accident, it may result in the VM reset w/o any symptom.

Interesting. I hope it is the watchdog. I know some qemu versions +
some kernel versions have race conditions that are observable during
boot. I don't know if those happen in your test harness but it may be
worth a look. I tend to get grumpy when I see those and work on
stabalizing a magic kernel config that likes qemu, but I keep finding
issues when I try other peoples configurations for reproducing problems
like this one.

Eric