Re: [RFC] block: fix blk_queue_split() resource exhaustion

From: Lars Ellenberg
Date: Wed Jul 06 2016 - 08:38:52 EST

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 06:47:29PM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> >> One clean solution may be to convert the loop of generic_make_request()
> >> into the following way:
> >>
> >> do {
> >> struct bio *splitted, *remainder = NULL;
> >> struct request_queue *q = bdev_get_queue(bio->bi_bdev);
> >>
> >> blk_queue_split(q, &bio, &remainder, q->bio_split);
> >>
> >> ret = q->make_request_fn(q, bio);
> >>
> >> if (remainder)
> >> bio_list_add(current->bio_list, remainder);
> >> bio = bio_list_pop(current->bio_list);
> >> } while (bio)
> >
> > Not good enough.

> > Goal was to first process all "deeper level" bios
> > before processing the remainder.
>
> For the reported bio splitting issue, I think the goal is to make sure all
> BIOs generated from 'bio' inside .make_request_fn(bio) are queued
> before the 'current' remainder. Cause it is the issue introduced by
> blk_split_bio().

Stacking:
qA (limitting layer)
-> qB (remapping)
-> qC (remapping)
-> qD (hardware)

[in fact you don't even need four layers,
this is just to clarify that the stack may be more complex than you
assume it would be]

Columns below:
1) argument to generic_make_request() and its target queue.
2) current->bio_list
3) "in-flight" counter of qA.

==== In your new picture, iiuc:

generic_make_request(bio_orig)
NULL in-flight=0
bio_orig empty
blk_queue_split()
result:
bio_s, bio_r
qA->make_request_fn(bio_s)
in-flight=1
bio_c = bio_clone(bio_s)
generic_make_request(bio_c to qB)
bio_c
<-return
bio_list_add(bio_r)
bio_c, bio_r
bio_list_pop()
bio_r
qB->make_request_fn(bio_c)
(Assume it does not clone, but only remap.
But it may also be a striping layer,
and queue more than one bio here.)
generic_make_request(bio_c to qC)
bio_r, bio_c
<-return
bio_list_pop()
bio_c
qA->make_request_fn(bio_r) in-flight still 1

BLOCKS, because bio_c has not been processed to its final
destination qD yet, and not dispatched to hardware.

==== my suggestion

generic_make_request(bio_orig)
NULL in-flight=0
bio_orig empty in-flight=0
qA->make_request_fn(bio_orig)
blk_queue_split()
result:
bio_s, and bio_r stuffed away to head of remainder list.
in-flight=1
bio_c = bio_clone(bio_s)
generic_make_request(bio_c to qB)
bio_c
<-return
bio_c
bio_list_pop()
empty
qB->make_request_fn(bio_c)
(Assume it does not clone, but only remap.
But it may also be a striping layer,
and queue more than one bio here.)
generic_make_request(bio_c to qC)
bio_c
<-return
bio_list_pop()
empty
qC->make_request_fn(bio_c)
generic_make_request(bio_c to qD)
bio_c
<-return
bio_list_pop()
empty
qD->make_request_fn(bio_c)
dispatches to hardware
<-return
empty
bio_list_pop()
NULL, great, lets pop from remainder list
qA->make_request_fn(bio_r) in-flight=?

May block, but only until completion of bio_c.
Which may already have happened.

*makes progress*

Thanks,

Lars