Re: IR remote stopped working in kernels 4.5 and 4.6

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon Jul 04 2016 - 17:18:17 EST

On Mon, 2016-07-04 at 23:08 +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> Am 04.07.2016 um 22:36 schrieb James Bottomley:
> > This looks to be a problem with the rc subsystem. The IR
> > controller in question is part of a cx8800 atsc card. In the 4.4
> > kernel, where it works, this is what ir-keytable says:
> >
> > Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
> > Driver cx88xx, table rc-hauppauge
> > Supported protocols: other lirc rc-5 jvc sony nec sanyo mce-kbd
> > rc-6 sharp xmp
> > Enabled protocols: lirc nec
> > Name: cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV)
> > bus: 1, vendor/product: 7063:3000, version: 0x0001
> > Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
> >
> > And in 4.6, where it doesn't work:
> >
> > Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
> > Driver cx88xx, table rc-hauppauge
> > Supported protocols: lirc
> > Enabled protocols: lirc
> > Name: cx88 IR (pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV)
> > bus: 1, vendor/product: 7063:3000, version: 0x0001
> > Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
> >
> > The particular remote in question seems to require the nec protocol
> > to work and the failure in 4.5 and 4.6 is having any supported
> > protocols at all. I can get the remote to start working again by
> > adding the nec protocol:
> >
> > echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> >
> > But it would be nice to have this happen by default rather than
> > having to add yet another work around init script.
> >
> Meanwhile decoder modules are loaded on demand only. This can be done
> automatically w/o the need for additional init scripts.
>
> If /etc/rc_maps.cfg includes a keymap with type NEC then the nec
> decoder module is loaded automatically.
>
> My rc_maps.cfg looks like this (and causes the SONY decoder module to
> be loaded automatically):
>
> #driver table file
> * * sony-rm-sx800
>
> And the keymap:
>
> # table sony-rm-sx800, type SONY
> 0x110030 KEY_PREVIOUS
> 0x110031 KEY_NEXT
> 0x110033 KEY_BACK
> ..
> ..

Well, to work in the 4.4 kernel, the rc_maps.cfg names a table with the
nec controller, so it seems that whatever is supposed to trigger
autoloading isn't.

Is ir-keytable supposed to do this? The current debian testing one is

Package: ir-keytable
Source: v4l-utils
Version: 1.10.1-1

Which seems to be the most current one.