Re: Portable Device Tree Connector -- conceptual

From: Frank Rowand
Date: Fri Jul 01 2016 - 12:45:19 EST

On 06/30/16 17:02, Frank Rowand wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to wrap my head around what Pantelis and Rob have written
> on the subject of a device tree representation of a connector for a
> daughter board to connect to (eg a cape or a shield) and the representation
> of the daughter board. (Or any other physically pluggable object.)
>
> After trying to make sense of what had been written (or presented via slides
> at a conference - thanks Pantelis!), I decided to go back to first principals
> of what we are trying to accomplish. I came up with some really simple bogus
> examples to try to explain what my thought process is.

I was trying to keep the example as simple as possible because I wanted to
focus on the concept. I was trying to avoid getting into a big discussion
about implementation details until getting feedback on the concepts.

Secondly, thinking through the whole thing was complex enough for me that
I missed some obvious answers to my hand waving.

So in this reply, I will add the obvious fix to my hand waving, and add
some complexity with one more important implementation detail.

> [...]
>
> / {
> #address-cells = < 1 >;
> #size-cells = < 1 >;
>
> tree_1: soc@0 {
> reg = <0x0 0x0>;
>
> spi_1: spi1 {
> };
> };
>
> connector_1: connector_1 {
> spi1 {
> target_phandle = <&spi_1>;
> target_path = "/soc/spi1";
> };
> };
>
> };
>
> &spi_1 {
> ethernet-switch@0 {
> compatible = "micrel,ks8995m";
> };
> };
>
> $ cat spi_codec_overlay_with_connector.dts
> /dts-v1/;
>
> /plugin/;
>
> &connector_1 {
> spi1 {
> codec@1 {
> compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
> };
> };
> };
>
> The result is that the overlay fixup for spi1 on the cape will
> relocate the spi1 node to /connector_1 in the host tree, so
> this does not solve the connector linkage yet:
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled board_with_connector.dtb:
>
> __symbols__ {
> connector_1 = "/connector_1";
> };
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled spi_codec_overlay_with_connector.dtb:
>
> fragment@0 {
> target = <0xffffffff>;
> __overlay__ {
> spi1 {
> codec@1 {
> compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
> };
> };
> };
> };
> __fixups__ {
> connector_1 = "/fragment@0:target:0";
> };
>

> #----- magic new dtc syntax
>
> What I really want is some way to tell dtc that I want to do one
> level of dereferencing when resolving the path of device nodes
> contained by the connector node in the overlay dts.
>
> The exact syntax does not matter here, I am just trying to get the
> concept. I will add the not yet implemented dtc feature of
> "/connector/" to the connector node in both the tree dts and the
> overlay dts, and show how the output of dtc would change. The
> "/connector/" directive tells dtc that for a base dts (hand
> waving how it knows base vs overlay dts file) to look into
> each node at that level and determine what other node it
> maps to (again, hand waving, in this example just to
> show the linkage, I have hard coded both the path and the
> phandle of the target node that the connector child node
> maps to). The "/connector/" directive tells dtc that for
> an overlay dts (again hand waving) to provide a fixup for

Fix some hand waving by changing "/connector/" to "/socket/"
to indicate this is the host board.

> spi1 {
> target_phandle = <&spi_1>;
> target_path = "/soc/spi1";
> };
> };
>
> };
>
> &spi_1 {
> ethernet-switch@0 {
> compatible = "micrel,ks8995m";
> };
> };
>
> $ cat spi_codec_overlay_with_connector_v2.dts
>
> /dts-v1/;
>
> /plugin/;
>
> &connector_1 {
> /connector/;

Fix some more hand waving by changing "/connector/" to "/plug/"
to indicate this is the daughter board, or item plugged into
the receptacle.

> spi1 {
> codec@1 {
> compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
> };
> };
> };
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled board_with_connector_v2.dtb:
>
> __symbols__ {
> connector_1 {
> spi1 = "/soc@0/spi1";
> };
> };
>
> -- chunk from the decompiled spi_codec_overlay_with_connector_v2.dtb:
>
> / {
>
> fragment@0 {
> target = <0xffffffff>;
> __overlay__ {
> spi1 {
> codec@1 {
> compatible = "ti,tlv320aic26";
> };
> };
> };
> };
> __fixups__ {
> connector_1 {
> spi1 = "/fragment@0/__overlay__:spi1:0";
> };
> };
>
> Of course the overlay loader will also have to be modified to understand
> the new information.
>
> Exact format of the __symbols__ and __fixups__ are implementation
> details, I am just trying to present the model.
>
> Ignoring device tree source syntax and dtc implementation issues, does
> this conceptual model look more straight forward and a better direction
> for how to represent connectors?
>
> -Frank

One more detail is how to ensure that a host board connector and a
daughter board connector match (pin meaning, electrical characteristics,
etc). Both the host board connector .dtb node and the daughter board
connector .dtbo node would have a compatible property that was specific
to a connector specification. For instance, there could be a
"96boards,40-pin-connector" and a "96boards,60-pin-connector". If a
new incompatible version of the connector spec was created, a new
compatible would have to be created, for example "96boards,40-pin-connector-gen2".

-Frank