Re: [alsa-devel] [very-RFC 0/8] TSN driver for the kernel

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Wed Jun 22 2016 - 08:38:17 EST

On 6/21/16 12:40 PM, Richard Cochran wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:45:18AM -0700, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
You can experiment with the 'dma' and 'link' timestamps today on any
HDaudio-based device. Like I said the synchronized part has not been
upstreamed yet (delays + dependency on ART-to-TSC conversions that made it
in the kernel recently)

Can you point me to any open source apps using the dma/link
timestamps?

Those timestamps are only used in custom applications at the moment, not 'mainstream' open source.
It takes time for new kernel capabilities to trickle into userspace, applications usually align on the lowest hardware common denominator. In addition, most applications don't access the kernel directly but go through an audio server or HAL which needs to be updated as well so it's a two-level dependency. These timestamps can be directly mappped to the Android AudioTrack.getTimeStamp API though.