Re: [RFC/PATCH] perf: Add sizeof operator support

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Jun 17 2016 - 15:08:36 EST

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 13:57:44 -0500
Jeremy Linton <jeremy.linton@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is the simple case, initially I was going to just hand code some of
> the sizeofs in the kernel, but then I started noticing more complex
> cases, and why I RFCed this patch.
>
> For example, on x64/xen there are fair number with sizeof(pXXval_t),
> IIRC I've also seen a fair number of sizeof(struct page *). Some, but I
> dont think all of these case be determined from the field sizes like
> this one:

Right, but there's no easy fix for that. Your patch wont fix these,
because they can change over time.

Now, what we can do is add a sizeof() helper that is like the
TRACE_DEFINE_ENUM() macro. We could add a TRACE_DEFINE_SIZEOF(), that
basically does the same, and in update_event_printk() we could
substitute the sizeof() with the actual number value.

You want to take a crack at that?

Take a look at commit 0c564a538aa93.

-- Steve