Re: PROBLEM: Resume form hibernate broken by setting NX on gap

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Sun Jun 12 2016 - 00:48:29 EST

Hey,

On 11/06/16 07:05 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
1) Commit ab76f7b4ab only extends the NX bit between __ex_table and
rodata; which, by my understanding, shouldn't be used by anything. And
__ex_table and rodata are fixed by the kernel's binary so both symbols
should be the same in both the image kernel and the boot kernel given
that both are running from the same binary.

Well, what if the kernel is relocated?

Ah, I'm sure I don't fully grasp the implications of that but I would assume that if the image kernel were located somewhere else it would still be far away from the boot kernel's ex_table/rodata boundary.

2) When ab76f7b4ab is reverted, hibernation seems to work 100%. Though,
when it's in place, it only works some of the time. Given that commit is
only extending the NX region a bit, if there is some random mismatch,
why does it never reach rodata? In other words, why is rodata a magic
line that seems to work all the time -- why doesn't this random mismatch
ever extend into the rodata region? rodata isn't _that_ far away from
the end of ex_table.

That's a very good question. :-)

Yeah, I guess if we knew the answer we'd understand what was going on and have a fix.

Can you please check if the patch below makes any difference?

I'm afraid it's no different. The kernel still freezes on resume. Though, no warnings with this one.

Thanks,

Logan