Re: [tip:perf/core] perf/x86/rapl: Add Skylake server model detection

From: Jacob Pan
Date: Fri Jun 10 2016 - 08:35:55 EST

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, tip-bot for Jacob Pan wrote:
>
> > Commit-ID: 348c5ac6c7dc117e1de095bf07c86c31101d56f3
> > Gitweb:
> > http://git.kernel.org/tip/348c5ac6c7dc117e1de095bf07c86c31101d56f3
> > Author: Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> AuthorDate:
> > Thu, 2 Jun 2016 17:19:53 -0700 Committer: Ingo Molnar
> > <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> CommitDate: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:06:01 +0200
> >
> > perf/x86/rapl: Add Skylake server model detection
> >
> > SKX uses similar RAPL interface as Broadwell server.

> > X86_RAPL_MODEL_MATCH(INTEL_FAM6_SKYLAKE_MOBILE,
> > skl_rapl_init), X86_RAPL_MODEL_MATCH(INTEL_FAM6_SKYLAKE_DESKTOP,
> > skl_rapl_init),
> > + X86_RAPL_MODEL_MATCH(INTEL_FAM6_SKYLAKE_X,
> > hsx_rapl_init),
>

> code does not match git commit message. The code says that skylake
> server matches the haswell server. (Yes I know broadwell server
> apparently matches haswell server too, but you might want to say that
> in the git commit to avoid confusion).

Yes, it would be more clear to state that SKX matches BDX as well as
HSX. I was following the order of product releases. Should I submit a
patch for it? or can the commit message be changed by the maintainers?

New commit message:

"Skylake server (SKX) uses similar RAPL interface as Haswell server
which is used on Broadwell server as well."

Thanks for pointing it out.

Jacob