Re: Dcache oops

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jun 03 2016 - 18:00:20 EST

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> in the __d_lookup() disassembly. And %rdi contains 2, so there were
>> supposed to be two more characters at 'ct' (which is %rdx).
>
> ... and since r8 and rsi are 0, we couldn't have consumed anything.

Right you are. So it really started out page-aligned.

>> Why would nd->last.name be bogus? I don't see anything.
>
> An interesting part is that it's page-aligned. Which is impossible for
> a short name obtained by getname(), but is quite likely for a symlink body.
> So at a guess, we have a page containing a symlink body freed under us.

Hmm. Good point.

Is perhaps the "delayed_call" logic broken, and the symlink is free'd too early?

That whole set_delayed_call/do_delayed_call thing came in 4.5. Maybe
something broke that logic, and we've executed the delayed freeing
before we should have.

Normally it's done at terminate_walk() time. But I note that in
walk_component(), we do put_link(nd) which does a do_delayed_call(),
but does *not* do a clear_delayed_call(), so now I think a subsequent
terminate_walk() might drop it *again*.

I'm probably missing something, but I have to say that the old
explicit "put_link()" callback logic was more obvious than the new
delayed calls are.

Linus