Re: task_diag: add a new interface to get information about processes

From: Andrey Vagin
Date: Wed May 04 2016 - 18:34:31 EST

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Stephen Hemminger
<stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand how reading /proc or /sys can be a bottleneck, but this
> proposed method using a system call is the wrong way to do this.
>
> Why not use netlink like other systems do which allows a message
> based response which allows for future changes (no fixed datastructures),
> and is message based.
>
> Generic netlink has already been used by several other subsystems.

I used netlink in two first versions of task_diag, but then Andy
convinced me that netlink interfaces are not ideal for this case. I
added him into CÑ.

Here is a thread with our discussion about using netlink for
task_diag: https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/12/15/520
Can I ask you to read it and give your comments? It would be nice to
find a way how to use netlink sockets instead of creating a new
interface.

Thanks,
Andrew