Re: efi_enabled(EFI_PARAVIRT) use

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 29 2016 - 02:39:50 EST

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the xen-tip tree got a conflict in:
>
> drivers/firmware/efi/arm-runtime.c
>
> between commit:
>
> 14c43be60166 ("efi/arm*: Drop writable mapping of the UEFI System table")
>
> from the tip tree and commit:
>
> 21c8dfaa2327 ("Xen: EFI: Parse DT parameters for Xen specific UEFI")
>
> from the xen-tip tree.

(I've attached 21c8dfaa2327 below, for reference.)

Argh:

With considerable pain we just got rid of paravirt_enabled() in the x86 tree, and
Xen is now reintroducing it in the EFI code. Please don't: if you have to do
capability flags then name the flag accordingly to what it does, don't use some
generic catch-all naming that will inevitably cause the kind of problems
paravirt_enabled() caused...

So: NAKed-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx>

Also, it would be nice to have all things EFI in a single tree, the conflicts are
going to be painful! There's very little reason not to carry this kind of commit:

arch/arm/xen/enlighten.c | 6 +++++
drivers/firmware/efi/arm-runtime.c | 17 +++++++++-----
drivers/firmware/efi/efi.c | 45 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------

in the EFI tree.