Re: Major KVM issues with kernel 4.5 on the host

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sat Apr 23 2016 - 19:58:44 EST

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 08:43:41PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Uncorrectable errors would still be identified by the ECC hardware,

Not if the hardware decides to syncflood so that we don't even get to
run the #MC handler...

> and the box wouldn't be perfectly fine with an "old" kernel.

Maybe the "old" kernel is not causing all the required ingredients to
come together for the uncorrectable error to happen. But yeah, I agree,
the fact that 4.4 is fine kinda doesn't fit with the uncorrectable error
theory.

> Yes, that would be in the logs.

Presumably. And see above.

> But we still postulate that the issue does only show on older AMD
> CPUs. Otherwise, I wouldn't be the only one making this experience.

It actually shows only on this one system. At least I'm not aware of any
other report of the same issue. My system with a F10h, rev E is just
fine.

> Do you want me to memtest for 24 hours?

Yeah, that memtest crap never triggers any ECCs. But if you're bored,
why not...

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.