Re: [RFC 1/2] spi: spidev: Use 'new_id' sysfs file for enabling spidev

From: Bhuvanchandra DV
Date: Wed Apr 20 2016 - 09:27:45 EST

On 04/20/2016 05:47 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 05:43:32PM +0530, Bhuvanchandra DV wrote:

SPI drivers bind to the device as configured in DT, but in case of
spidev(non DT approach) the device is not available in hand to bind the
driver. So tried this approach of creating the device and then bind spidev.
I agree this is not a standard way we bind SPI devices. With out a device
available, seems it is not possible to bind spidev in non DT approach.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

The DT should describe the hardware so the DT should describe whatever
device is connected to the spidev, what you're trying to do is have
spidev bind to these new compatible strings.

The device which i was pointing earlier is the SPI master device(spiB.C) not the external h/w device interfaced to it. Yes, DT will describe the h/w interfaced on SPI master device(spiB.C). In case of spidev we are not supposed to describe in DT as it is not a real h/w. The intention of this patchset is to completely avoid spidev in DT and load it via sysfs new_id file for selected SPI master device(spiB.C).

--
Best regards,
Bhuvan