Re: Bug with paravirt ops and livepatches

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Mar 29 2016 - 09:05:42 EST

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Miroslav Benes wrote:

> > 1) Jessica proposed using the Arch-independent patchset ensure that livepatch
> > finishes writing its relas before apply_paravirt() is called. However, this
> > introduces a bit more arch-dependent code. It would be useful to see if other
> > arches are affected by this as well.
>
> I think this is the way to go. Provided we have Jessica's two patch sets
> applied (arch-independent and notifiers removal) there are two options. We
> either move a call to klp_coming_module() somewhere before
> module_finalize(), or we move the problematic parts of module_finalize()
> to the end of load_module() (on x86 it is probably module_finalize() as a
> whole). The former is almost impossible because of the dependencies
> (ftrace and such), the latter should be doable (with very careful check we
> won't break anything).

Agreed; I think we should be safe applying all the alternatives (with
paravirt being really just a special case of those) to the coming module
at the very last phase; they really are required only during runtime, but
nothing else should be depending on them. Right? If anyone is able to come
up with and counter-example, please speak up :)

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs