Re: [PART1 RFC v3 02/12] KVM: x86: Introducing kvm_x86_ops VM init/uninit hooks

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit
Date: Tue Mar 29 2016 - 01:28:05 EST

Hi Paolo,

On 3/18/16 17:11, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

On 18/03/2016 07:09, Suravee Suthikulpanit wrote:
>Adding function pointers in struct kvm_x86_ops for processor-specific
>layer to provide hooks for when KVM initialize and un-initialize VM.
This is not the only thing your patch is doing, and the "other" change
definitely needs a lot more explanation about why you did it and how you
audited the code to ensure that it is safe.

Paolo

Sorry, for not mentioning this earlier. I am moving the kvm_arch_init_vm() call mainly to go after mutex_init(&kvm->slots_lock) since I am calling the x86_set_memory_region() (which uses slots_lock) in the vm_init() hooks (for AVIC initialization).

Lemme re-check if this would be safe for other code.

Thanks,
Suravee