Re: [RFC 0/6] drm/fences: add in-fences to DRM

From: Gustavo Padovan
Date: Thu Mar 24 2016 - 10:32:22 EST

Hi Maarten,

2016-03-24 Maarten Lankhorst <maarten.lankhorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hey,
>
> Op 23-03-16 om 19:47 schreef Gustavo Padovan:
> > From: Gustavo Padovan <gustavo.padovan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a first proposal to discuss the addition of in-fences support
> > to DRM. It adds a new struct to fence.c to abstract the use of sync_file
> > in DRM drivers. The new struct fence_collection contains a array with all
> > fences that a atomic commit needs to wait on
> >
> > /**
> > * struct fence_collection - aggregate fences together
> > * @num_fences: number of fence in the collection.
> > * @user_data: user data.
> > * @func: user callback to put user data.
> > * @fences: array of @num_fences fences.
> > */
> > struct fence_collection {
> > int num_fences;
> > void *user_data;
> > collection_put_func_t func;
> > struct fence *fences[];
> > };
> >

> > The fence_collection is allocated and filled by sync_file_fences_get() and
> > atomic_commit helpers can use fence_collection_wait() to wait the fences to
> > signal.
> >
> > These patches depends on the sync ABI rework:
> >
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg102795.html
> >
> > and the patch to de-stage the sync framework:
> >
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg102799.html
> >

> > I also hacked together some sync support into modetest for testing:
> >
> > https://git.collabora.com/cgit/user/padovan/libdrm.git/log/?h=atomic
> >
> Why did you choose to add fence_collection, rather than putting sync_file in state?
>
> There used to be a sync_fence_wait function, which would mean you'd have everything you need.

We discussed this on #dri-devel a few days ago. The idea behind this is
to abstract sync_file from any drm driver and let only drm core deal
with sync_file.

In the next iteration even fence_collection will be gone, so the driver
we deal only with struct fence and the fence_collection will be a
subclass of fence.

Gustavo