Re: Request for review of adjtimex(2) man page

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2016 - 11:09:24 EST

Hello John,

Following up, long after the fact....

First of all, a belated thanks for your comments.

On 01/09/2015 11:51 PM, John Stultz wrote:
> [...]
>> };
>> .fi
>> .in
>> .PP
>> The
>> .I modes
>> field determines which parameters, if any, to set.
>> It is a bit mask containing a
>> .RI bitwise- or
>> combination of zero or more of the following bits:
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET
>> Set time offset from
>> .IR buf.offset .
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_FREQUENCY
>> Set frequency offset from
>> .IR buf.freq .
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_MAXERROR
>> Set maximum time error from
>> .IR buf.maxerror .
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_ESTERROR
>> Set estimated time error from
>> .IR buf.esterror .
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_STATUS
>> Set clock status from
>> .IR buf.status .
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_TIMECONST
>> Set PLL time constant from
>> .IR buf.constant .
>> If the
>> .B STA_NANO
>> status flag (see below) is clear, the kernel adds 4 to this value.
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_SETOFFSET " (since Linux 2.6.29)"
>> .\" commit 094aa1881fdc1b8889b442eb3511b31f3ec2b762
>> .\" Author: Richard Cochran <richardcochran@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Add
>> .I buf.time
>> to the current time.
>> If
>> .I buf.status
>> includes the
>> .B ADJ_NANO
>> flag, then
>> .I buf.time.tv_usec
>> is interpreted as a nanosecond value;
>> otherwise it is interpreted as microseconds.
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_MICRO " (since Linux 2.6.36)"
>> .\" commit eea83d896e318bda54be2d2770d2c5d6668d11db
>> .\" Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Select microsecond resolution.
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_NANO " (since Linux 2.6.36)"
>> .\" commit eea83d896e318bda54be2d2770d2c5d6668d11db
>> .\" Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Select nanosecond resolution.
>> Only one of
>> .BR ADJ_MICRO
>> and
>> .BR ADJ_NANO
>> should be specified.
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_TAI " (since Linux 2.6.26)"
>> .\" commit 153b5d054ac2d98ea0d86504884326b6777f683d
>> Set TAI (Atomic International Time) offset from
>> .IR buf->constant .
>
> Minor nit: Elsewhere its buf.constant, not buf->constant.

Fixed.

>> .BR ADJ_TAI
>> should not be used in conjunction with
>> .BR ADJ_TIMECONST ,
>> since the latter mode also employs the
>> .IR buf->constant
>
> Same.

Fixed.

>> field.
>>
>> For a complete explanation of TAI
>> and the difference between TAI and UTC, see
>> .UR http://www.bipm.org/en/bipm/tai/tai.html
>> .I BIPM
>> .UE
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_TICK
>> Set tick value from
>> .IR buf.tick .
>> .PP
>> Alternatively,
>> .I modes
>> can be specified as either of the following (multibit mask) values,
>> in which case other bits should not be specified in
>> .IR modes :
>> .\" In general, the other bits are ignored, but ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT 0x8001
>> .\" ORed with ADJ_NANO (0x2000) gives 0xa0001 == ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ!!
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT
>> .\" In user space, ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT is 0x8001
>> .\" In kernel space it is 0x0001, and must be ANDed with ADJ_ADJTIME (0x8000)
>> Old-fashioned
>> .BR adjtime ():
>> (gradually) adjust time by value specified in
>> .IR buf.offset ,
>> which specifies an adjustment in microseconds.
>> .TP
>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ " (functional since Linux 2.6.28)"
>> .\" In user space, ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ is 0xa001
>> .\" In kernel space there is ADJ_OFFSET_READONLY (0x2000) anded with
>> .\" ADJ_ADJTIME (0x8000) and ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT (0x0001) to give 0xa001)
>> Return (in
>> .BR buf.offset )
>> the remaining amount of time to be adjusted after an earlier
>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET_SINGLESHOT
>> operation.
>> This feature was added in Linux 2.6.24,
>> .\" commit 52bfb36050c8529d9031d2c2513b281a360922ec
>> but did not work correctly
>> .\" commit 916c7a855174e3b53d182b97a26b2e27a29726a1
>> until Linux 2.6.28.
>> .PP
>> Ordinary users are restricted to a value of either 0 or
>> .B ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ
>> for
>> .IR modes .
>> Only the superuser may set any parameters.
>>
>> The
>> .I buf.status
>> field is a bit mask that is used to set and/or retrieve status
>> bits associated with the NTP implementation.
>> Some bits in the mask are both readable and settable,
>> while others are read-only.
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PLL
>> Enable phase-locked loop (PLL) updates (read-write) via
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>

> So for most of these, the following might be a useful reference:
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/package/rtems/src/ssrlApps/ntpNanoclock/api.htm

Added under SEE ALSO. (A very helpful document!)

>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET .
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSFREQ
>> Enable PPS freq discipline (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSTIME
>> Enable PPS time discipline (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>
> Adding Alexander Gordeev for additional comment on the PPS logic.
>

>> .TP
>> .BR STA_FLL
>> Select frequency-locked loop (FLL) mode (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_INS
>> Insert leap second (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct?
>> .\" Insert a leap second after the last second of the day.
>
> Might be good to clarify that its the last second of the day UTC.

Done:

Insert a leap second after the last second of the UTC day.

>> .\" That is, at 24:00:00, set the clock 1 second back, thus extending
>> .\" the last minute of the day by one second.
>
> So usually this is written as extending the day by one second,
> which is represented as:
> 23:59:59
> 23:59:60
> 00:00:00
>
> But since posix cannot represent 23:59:60, we repeat the last second:
> 23:59:59 + TIME_INS
> 23:59:59 + TIME_OOP
> 00:00:00 + TIME_WAIT

Thanks for the explanation.

>> .\" Leap second insertion will occur each day, so long as this flag
>> .\" remains set.
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_DEL
>> Delete leap second (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct?
>> .\" Delete a leap second at the last second of the leap day.
>
> I'd drop "leap day", since if STA_INS/DEL are set, they are applied to
> the current day (UTC), and the kernel has no other frame of reference
> for when a leap-day might be.

Done. I now have:

STA_DEL (read-write)
Delete a leap second at the last second of the day.
Leap second deletion will occur each day, so long as
this flag remains set.

>> .\" That is, at 23:5:59, add one extra second to the clock.
>> .\" Leap second deletion will occur each day, so long as this flag
>> .\" remains set.
>

> Similarly the progression here is:
> 23:59:57 + TIME_DEL
> 23:59:58 + TIME_DEL
> 00:00:00 + TIME_WAIT
>

>> .\" FIXME Does there need to be a statement that it is nonsensical to set
>> .\" to set both STA_INS and STA_DEL?

Did you have a comment on the preceding sentence? There seems to be no
check that prevents users doing this weirdness, and it appears that if both
are set, STA_INS has precedence.

>> .TP
>> .BR STA_UNSYNC
>> Clock unsynchronized (read-write).
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_FREQHOLD
>> Hold frequency (read-write).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>

> Normally adjustments made via ADJ_OFFSET, result in dampened freq
> adjustments also being made. So a single call corrects the current
> offset, but ass offsets in the same direction are made repeatedly, the
> small freq adjustments will accumulate to fix the long term skew.
>
> So this flag prevents the small frequency adjustment from being made
> when correcting for an ADJ_OFFSET value.

Thanks, I lifted those last 6 lines pretty much directly into the
man page.

> (Though the link I added above suggests this isn't used in ntpv4).
>

>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSSIGNAL
>> PPS signal present (read-only).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSJITTER
>> PPS signal jitter exceeded (read-only).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSWANDER
>> PPS signal wander exceeded (read-only).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_PPSERROR
>> PPS signal calibration error (read-only).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_CLOCKERR
>> Clock hardware fault (read-only).
>> .\" FIXME Any pointer to further information about what this means?
>> .\" (It was not immediately obvious from a scan of the RFC, whether
>> .\" this is described in the RFC.)
>
> I don't think we actually do anything with CLOCKERR. I think we check
> for it in a few places, likely following the reference implementation,
> but nothing is set to it.

Yes, looking more closely, I see that you're correct.

>> .TP
>> .BR STA_NANO " (since Linux 2.6.26)"
>> .\" commit eea83d896e318bda54be2d2770d2c5d6668d11db
>> .\" Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Resolution (0 = microsecond, 1 = nanoseconds; read-only).
>> Set via
>> .BR ADJ_NANO ,
>> cleared via
>> .BR ADJ_MICRO .
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_MODE " (since Linux 2.6.26)"
>> .\" commit eea83d896e318bda54be2d2770d2c5d6668d11db
>> .\" Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Mode (0 = Phase Locked Loop, 1 = Frequency Locked Loop; read-only).
>> .TP
>> .BR STA_CLK " (since Linux 2.6.26)"
>> .\" commit eea83d896e318bda54be2d2770d2c5d6668d11db
>> .\" Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Clock source (0 = A, 1 = B; read-only).
>> .\" FIXME It would be helpful to have some explanation of what
>> .\" "Clock source" is.
>
> Similarly I don't think we use this at all.

Yes, after checking the source, it's clear you're correct.

> I'm guessing its here for
> compatibility with the reference implementation.
>

>> .PP
>> Attempts to set read-only
>> .I status
>> bits are silently ignored.
>> .SH RETURN VALUE
>> On success,
>> .BR adjtimex ()
>> returns the clock state; that is, one of the following values:
>> .TP 12
>> .BR TIME_OK
>> Clock synchronized.
>> .TP
>> .BR TIME_INS
>> Insert leap second.
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct:
>> .\" Indicates that a leap second will be added at the end of the day
>> .TP
>> .BR TIME_DEL
>> Delete leap second.
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct:
>> .\" Indicates that a leap second will be deleted at the end of the day
>> .TP
>> .BR TIME_OOP
>> Leap second in progress.
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct:
>> .\" Indicates that we are currently in the middle of the leap second
>> .\" that is being added at the end of the day (as a result of STA_INS)
>> .TP
>> .BR TIME_WAIT
>> Leap second has occurred.
>> .\" FIXME Is the following correct:
>> .\" Indicates that a leap second has just been added or deleted
>> .\" during the previous second
>
> So.. we actually hold TIME_WAIT until the next time ADJ_STATUS is set
> to not include STA_INS or STA_DEL.

Thanks. Got it now. So, I made this

TIME_WAIT A leap second insertion or deletion has been comâ
pleted. This value will be returned until the next
ADJ_STATUS operation clears the STA_INS or STA_DEL
flag.

>> .TP
>> .BR TIME_ERROR
>> Clock not synchronized.
>> .\" FIXME Should more be said about how the TIME_ERROR state can occur?
>> The symbolic name
>> .B TIME_BAD
>> is a synonym for
>> .BR TIME_ERROR ,
>> provided for backward compatibility.
>> .PP
>> On failure,
>> .BR adjtimex ()
>> returns \-1 and sets
>> .IR errno .
>> .SH ERRORS
>> .TP
>> .B EFAULT
>> .I buf
>> does not point to writable memory.
>> .TP
>> .B EINVAL
>> An attempt was made to set
>> .I buf.offset
>> to a value outside the range \-131071 to +131071,
>> or to set
>> .I buf.status
>> to a value other than those listed above,
>> or to set
>> .I buf.tick
>> to a value outside the range
>> .RB 900000/ HZ
>> .RB 1100000/ HZ ,
>> where
>> .B HZ
>> is the system timer interrupt frequency.
>> .TP
>> .B EPERM
>> .I buf.modes
>> is neither 0 nor
>> .BR ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ ,
>> and the caller does not have sufficient privilege.
>> Under Linux, the
>> .B CAP_SYS_TIME
>> capability is required.
>> .SH NOTES
>> In struct
>> .IR timex ,
>> .IR freq ,
>> .IR ppsfreq ,
>> and
>> .I stabil
>> are ppm (parts per million) with a 16-bit fractional part,
>> which means that a value of 1 in one of those fields
>> actually means 2^-16 ppm, and 2^16=65536 is 1 ppm.
>> This is the case for both input values (in the case of
>> .IR freq )
>> and output values.
>
> Another possible thing to note, since with last weeks announcement
> folks are starting to pay attention to leap-seconds again, is that
> with both STA_INS/STA_DEL, the leap-second processing is done by the
> kernel in timer context, thus it will take one tick into the second
> for the leap second to be inserted or deleted.

I added this text under NOTES.

>> .SH CONFORMING TO
>> .BR adjtimex ()
>> is Linux-specific and should not be used in programs
>> intended to be portable.
>> See
>> .BR adjtime (3)
>> for a more portable, but less flexible,
>> method of adjusting the system clock.
>
> I don't know if you might want to reference ntp_adjtime() which is
> probably the more portable interface that aligns closely here?
> sys/timex.h seems to reference it but I don't see it in the man pages,
> so maybe not...

Yes. Unfortunately those man pages don't yet exist. One day...

Thanks again for the input, John.

Cheers,

Michael

--