Re: [GIT PULL] Block fixes for 4.5-final

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Mar 03 2016 - 16:14:01 EST

On 03/03/2016 02:11 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Feel free to resend the parts that are actually critical, but explain
exactly why they are so critical when you do.

Just to clarify: anything that contains "lightnvm" is definitely not
critical enough. Are there even any users? I'm done seeing these
constant large lightnvm patches.

Right, see previous email, that can surely be pulled. But at the same time, it's not exactly high impact stuff. That said, it should have gone to 4.6 originally.

NVMe is certainly a lot more important, but if it's about hot unplug
that has never been reliable before, or about cleaning up the reset
sequence by avoiding unmapping the register space, I really don't see
what makes those critical patches that should go in outside of the
merge window.

Fair enough.

So no more of this "several hundred lines of random code changes after
rc6 for issues that aren't fixing an actual critical bug and has never
worked before either".

I'll run a tighter ship for post-merge window.

The block pull request was literally three times the size of all the
other (*seven*) pull requests I've done today that were actually small
fixes. Yeah, I'm not going to say that all of those were necessarily
truly critical either, but at least they were very small and clearly
fixes, and several of them fixed things like actual BUG_ON's or boot
hangs.

I could have split it in 3? :-)

--
Jens Axboe