Labelling GPIOs for sysfs access?

From: Stuart Longland
Date: Thu Feb 25 2016 - 15:56:31 EST

Hi all,

I've been porting the mainline Linux kernel to the Technologic Systems
TS-7670 industrial computers which are based on the Freescale i.MX286 SoC.

I've had to make a couple of hacks to get things working, my code is at
https://github.com/vrtsystems/linux/tree/ts7670-4.4.1

Right now, there's a couple of GPIO lines for controlling power to
things like RS-232 and CANBus transceivers. The RS-485 port on these
devices also has a couple of pins that are connected to a CPU-controlled
MOSFET to allow turning an external device on/off.

Previously I used the generic GPIO sysfs interface. This worked well,
but the names suddenly changed on me and so now my scripts don't work.
It's also not that user friendly.

Implementing a kernel driver is doable, but all I'm doing is just
repeating work that the sysfs GPIO interface does already. Currently
I'm doing it with the "LEDs" framework, since they'll have a consistent
name -- users can for example, turn the RS-232 transceivers off by
setting /sys/class/leds/rs232_en/brightness to 0. It's controlled by
device tree.

(Better in the case of RS-232, would be to have the port automatically
turn the transceivers on. I managed to get the CANBus side to do that.)

Is there some sort of mechanism by which GPIO lines could be clearly
labelled to present a consistent interface in sysfs between kernel
revisions?

Regards,
--
_ ___ Stuart Longland - Systems Engineer
\ /|_) | T: +61 7 3535 9619