RE: Performance drop on Baytrail with 4.5-rc2

From: Thomas Voegtle
Date: Wed Feb 03 2016 - 14:28:03 EST

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016, Longepe, Philippe wrote:

Thank you for sharing this test. I just did a quick test and yes this is really interesting !

Without the scale option, the load is close to 100% for each cpus (so the pstates are increasing up to the turbo frequency) but with scale=320:208, the load is oscillating (close to 50% in average), so the requested frequencies are lower (the power is also reduced).

I have a patch (not yet submitted) that reduce the gap for such a use case.

That's nice, glad the benchmark helped.

As a temporary solution, you can also switch to performance with:

sudo su
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/scaling_governor

Yes, ok, thanks.

However, I still don't know why there is 50% of idle with the scale option (is it using a Hw accelerator ?).

Mh. I don't know. I always thought this is stuff which is not that threadable as the mpeg to mp4 conversion, or something like that?

Thanks,

Thomas