Re: [RFC] Dump interesting arch/platform info

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Feb 03 2016 - 05:48:37 EST

* Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:29:03PM +0000, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > On a high core count, multi-socket, machine I see almost 10K lines
> > of output from this. If you add other things it will become a bit
> > of a jumble to parse.
>
> Always thinking big... :-)
>
> > Perhaps the module name "archinfo" is fine, but each separate thing
> > it shows should get its own file. Starting with:
> >
> > /sys/kernel/debug/x86/gdtinfo
> >
> > for the current output?
>
> Right, or put everything under a directory "archinfo":
>
> /sys/kernel/debug/x86/archinfo/ ... gdt
> ... msrs

> and so on.
>
> Yap, sounds better. Thanks!

Agreed. We used to have something like this but then removed it due to various
problems - but the concept itself is fine.

Note that these can be pretty security sensitive pieces of information, and can
also expose ASLR/KASLR details, so the VFS interface needs to be a strictly
root-only thing.

Thanks,

Ingo