Re: Duplicated module names

From: Lucas De Marchi
Date: Fri Jan 29 2016 - 14:08:47 EST

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 3:54 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lucas De Marchi <lucas.de.marchi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Hi!
>>
>> CC'ing Rusty and mailing lists
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Rusty and ohers: it looks like both CONFIG_CRC32 and
>> CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32 can be compiled as module, and they generate
>> modules with the same name, crc32. Could that be fixed?
>
> Gah. Looks like it's been that way since at least 2014, too.
>
> I think we could rename it to crypto_crc32, but I don't think it's the
> only one. Marco, I think depmod should probably FAIL if two modules
> have the same name, which would at least find such problems.

Yes, I'll do that on kmod, but we need to pay attention to 2 things:

- It's possible 2 modules with the same names if they come from
different locations (with different priorities)
- It doesn't fix the case in which one is a module and the other is
builtin. We could still have problem with such a scenario, like was
pointed out in this bug report to kmod.

Lucas De Marchi