Re: [BUG REPORT] Soft Lockup in smp_call_function_single+0xD8

From: Jeff Merkey
Date: Mon Jan 25 2016 - 23:05:26 EST

On 1/25/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/24/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If I single step with either kgdb, kgdb, or mdb kernel debuggers over
>>> a sysret instruction anywhere in the OS, the system hard hangs in
>>> smp_call_function_single after the debugger releases the system and it
>>> resumes normal operation. The specific place the kernel hangs is in
>>> the loop below. The softlockup detector will periodically detect
>>> this condition when it occurs, but not always, most of the time the
>>> system is just hung and unresponsive.
>>>
>>> (2)> u smp_call_function_single+d8
>>> <<<< hard hang in this loop with EDX=3
>>> 0xffffffff810fce48 8B55E0 mov edx,DWORD PTR
>>> [rbp-32]=0xCE037DC0
>>> 0xffffffff810fce4b 83E201 and edx,0x1
>>> 0xffffffff810fce4e 75F6 jne
>>> smp_call_function_single+0xd6 (0xffffffff810fce46) (up)
>>> <<<<<
>>> 0xffffffff810fce50 EBC3 jmp
>>> smp_call_function_single+0xa5 (0xffffffff810fce15) (up)
>>> 0xffffffff810fce52 8B05E08EC700 mov eax,[oops_in_progress]=0x0
>>> 0xffffffff810fce58 85C0 test eax,eax
>>> 0xffffffff810fce5a 7585 jne
>>> smp_call_function_single+0x71 (0xffffffff810fcde1) (up)
>>> 0xffffffff810fce5c 803D8E0C9D0000 cmp [__warned.20610]=0x00,0x0
>>> 0xffffffff810fce63 0F8578FFFFFF jne
>>> smp_call_function_single+0x71 (0xffffffff810fcde1) (up)
>>> 0xffffffff810fce69 BE24010000 mov esi,0x124
>>> 0xffffffff810fce6e 48C7C796B08C81 mov rdi,0xffffffff818cb096
>>> 0xffffffff810fce75 894DBC mov DWORD PTR [rbp-68]=0x0,ecx
>>> 0xffffffff810fce78 488955C0 mov QWORD PTR
>>> [rbp-64]=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF10,rdx
>>> 0xffffffff810fce7c E8FF21F8FF call warn_slowpath_null
>>> 0xffffffff810fce81 C605690C9D0001 mov [__warned.20610]=0x00,0x1
>>> 0xffffffff810fce88 8B4DBC mov ecx,DWORD PTR [rbp-68]=0x0
>>> 0xffffffff810fce8b 488B55C0 mov rdx,QWORD PTR
>>> [rbp-64]=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFF10
>>> 0xffffffff810fce8f E94DFFFFFF jmp
>>> smp_call_function_single+0x71 (0xffffffff810fcde1) (up)
>>> 0xffffffff810fce94 E8A71EF8FF call __stack_chk_fail
>>> 0xffffffff810fce99 0F1F8000000000 nop DWORD PTR [rax]=0x0
>>> (2)> g
>>>

>>> The stack backtrace when the bug occurs is:
>>>
>>> smp_call_function_single+0xd8
>>> unmap_page_range+0x613
>>> flush_tlb_func+0x0
>>> smp_call_function_many+215
>>> native_flush_tlb_others+0x118
>>> flush_tlb_mm_range+0x61
>>> tlb_flush_mmu_tlbonly+0x6b
>>> tlb_finish_mmu+0x14
>>> unmap_region+0xe2
>>> vma_rb_erase+0x10f
>>> do_unmap+0x217
>>> vm_unmap+0x41
>>> SyS_munmap+0x22
>>> entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x12
>>>
>>> I traced through this code a bunch of times in just normal operations
>>> without triggering the bug to get a feel for what it normally sees in
>>> EDX and it looks like someone has coded a looping function that always
>>> has EDX=0 in every case I saw in the except for when this bug occurs.
>>>
>>> So the exact C code this maps fro objdump of kernel/smp.o is:
>>>
>>> 469: e8 62 fe ff ff callq 2d0 <generic_exec_single>
>>> 46e: 8b 55 e0 mov -0x20(%rbp),%edx
>>> * previous function call. For multi-cpu calls its even more interesting
>>> * as we'll have to ensure no other cpu is observing our csd.
>>> */
>>> static void csd_lock_wait(struct call_single_data *csd)
>>> {
>>> while (smp_load_acquire(&csd->flags) & CSD_FLAG_LOCK)
>>> 471: 83 e2 01 and $0x1,%edx
>>> 474: 74 cf je 445 <smp_call_function_single+0xa5>
>>> 476: f3 90 pause
>>> <<<<<<<<<<
>>> 478: 8b 55 e0 mov -0x20(%rbp),%edx
>>> 47b: 83 e2 01 and $0x1,%edx
> [...]
>>> <<<<<<<<<<<
>>> 480: eb c3 jmp 445 <smp_call_function_single+0xa5>
>>> * Can deadlock when called with interrupts disabled.
>>> * We allow cpu's that are not yet online though, as no one else can
>>> * send smp call function interrupt to this cpu and as such deadlocks
>>> * can't happen.
>>> */
>>> WARN_ON_ONCE(cpu_online(this_cpu) && irqs_disabled()
>>>
>>> Each time this bug occurs csd->flags is always set to a value of 3 and
>>> never changes. When the system is just running normally, it seems to
>>> be 0 the rest of the time. Setting EDX=0 from the debugger console
>>> clears the hang condition and the system seems to recover except the
>>> system reports this error from the console when you attempt to load
>>> programs, indicating the ability of the system to load shared objects
>>> is fritzed.
>>>
>>> #
>>> # ls -l
>>> /lib64/libc.so.6 version GLI not found << this error and no shared
>>> objects will load
>>> #
>>> #
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I am running down a trace of the MSR values for swapgs. Looks like it
>> got nested somewhere down in the entry_64 code. If so, then this is
>> just a symptom and not the sickness.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> I got to the bottom of this one and its related to the function loop
> locking up the system that is described above when code is allowed to
> run on one processor but not the others and one of them is trying to
> send an IPI.
>
> You might want to consider some sort of timeout logic for that
> function or ability for it to recover. The problem is caused by
> holding all the processors except the target processor being traced
> and letting it run for a trace session while the other processors are
> held suspended. If I release the all processors each time I step
> with the target processor the problem goes away. If I hold the
> processors while stepping over a section of code this lockup will
> occur and the processor the bug occurs on apparently never recovers
>
> In the process of tracking down this bug I traced all of the swapgs
> usage in all of the exception handlers and it works well. The check
> in paranoid_entry and paranoid_exit seems to catch the cases where the
> debugger is or has stepped over a swapgs instruction pointing to a gs
> in userspace for both int1 and int3 exceptions, and recovers correctly
> through paranoid_entry and paranoid exit with the correct gs and MSR
> value in all the cases I traced.
>
> I coded around this issue but it's probably a bug in using that while
> loop without some way to determine a processor has gone away
> temporarily. The solution is to let the processors run in between
> each and every int1 trap and not hold a processor in focus mode, then
> this code snippet that locks up in smp.c does not get hit.

I guess Linus has already been trying to fix this problem since he was
the last person to touch that code. Looks like there is another case
where csd_unlock does not get called or is delayed.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/8053871d0f7f67c7efb7f226ef031f78877d6625

I think I'll work on this one some more and see if I can fix it. It
still shows up after stepping through a sysret even with my changes,
its just harder to trigger. It crashes at exactly the same place in
the stacktrace from the same source so there's a clue to start with.

Jeff