ipmi_si feature request: SMBIOS-based autoloading

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sun Jan 24 2016 - 20:45:37 EST

ipmi_si doesn't autoload on systems where it's found via SMBIOS.
Could that be fixed?

If I were doing it, I'd suggest rigging up some code that's compiled
in to the main kernel even if ipmi_si is a module that creates the
platform device if the dmi device is there and then set up a modalias
so that the platofrm device causes ipmi_si to load.

(In general, having the same driver create the platform device and
register the platform driver means that autoloading is unlikely to
work right. See arch/x86/kernel/pmem.c for an example of a weird
legacy device that gets this right.)

Alternatively, maybe /sys/firmware/dmi could learn how to advertise
modaliases. But that might be a giant mess to solve a tiny problem.

--Andy