Linux 4.5-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jan 24 2016 - 17:08:30 EST

So the merge window is over, and rc1 is out there. Go test!

It's a fairly normal release - neither unusually big or unusually
small. The statistics look fairly normal too, with drivers being a bit
over 70% of the bulk (the big driver areas being gpu, networking,
sound, staging, fbdev, but its all over). The shortlog is too big and
unwieldly to post, but I'm appending my "mergelog" which credits the
maintainers I merge from - not necessarily the people who did the
actual individual patches.

Aside from drivers, we have architecture updates (over half of it
being arm - both 32- and 64-bit this time around, the rest is powerpc,
x86, mips, s390). On the arch front, it's probably worth mentioning
that apparently the arm people have finalized their platform work, and
that you really can build a generic ARM kernel for all the ARMv6/7
platforms (and describe the hardware with devicetree). It's been many
years in coming. Good job.

There's also obviously the usual documentation, filesystem, generic
networking, and core kernel updates. A number of nice MM cleanuips
came in through Andrew this time around, for example, and Al Viro made
pathname lookup stay in RCU mode even over symlink traveral.

So there's a little something for anybody.

Linus

---

Al Viro (10):
vfs compat_ioctl fixes