Re: [git pull] vfs.git regression fix

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 16:08:50 EST

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Buggy scripts, actually. The thing that generates them takes a branch
> name as argument; turns out that it (pretty much by accident) treats the
> missing argument as HEAD. Which tends to give reasonable diffstat and
> shortlog, so I hadn't spotted the missing check until now.

You could try "git request-pull". It _used_ to have somewhat similar
issues, especially when the local branch had not made it to the remote
point yet, but it should be good now. It actually warns if the remote
name you give doesn't contain what the local branch contanis etc.

> Fixed. BTW, is there any better way to get the current branch name than
> git branch |sed -ne '/\* /s///p'?

"git symbolic-ref HEAD" will show what HEAD points to. That's probably
what you'd want..

Not that there is anything *wrong* with looking at "git branch"
output, but that's really meant to be more human-readable than for
scripting.

Linus