Re: [GIT PULL] aio: a couple of fixes for 4.4

From: Al Viro
Date: Sat Jan 09 2016 - 18:08:26 EST

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 02:43:44PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please consider pulling the following changes to fix a couple of issues
> > reported by Dmitry from git://git.kvack.org/~bcrl/aio-fixes.git .
>
> No. This is much too late for this kind of hackery. That second patch
> in particular is both subtle and ugly, and is messing with lockdep.
>
> No way will I take something like this the last fay before a release.
>
> It's not even a regression, nor did you send me anything at all for
> this release. Trying to sneak something in just before 4.4 is not ok.

BTW, right now vfs.git#for-linus contains minimal compat_ioctl patches; unless
you want those in right now, I'm holding them back until Monday. It's
two patches Jann has posted (with trivial fix in the first one folded in) +
not passing fd around where it's not needed (basically, those calls of
do_ioctl() in there are guaranteed to go into vfs_ioctl() - the paths in
do_vfs_ioctl() that care about the descriptor numbers are not reachable
with the arguments do_ioctl() is getting).

If for some reason you want those in before -final - yell and I'll send
a pull request, otherwise they'll be in one of the first pull requests
on Monday.